Microworks strives to provide fair value for fair work. We all win – or we all lose. By helping our customers make strategic, longer term investments in technology, we maximize impact and minimize waste. We invest time in understanding a customer to ensure they obtain the best business solutions. We recommend solutions that are sustainable, upgradable, and manageable.
Microworks' has had several logos in our 30+ years in business. They all have one thing in common: the colour green, signalling our interest in a sustainable environment. Our environmental policy ensures that the company and our employees work to reduce our environmental footprint.
Re-Use of Materials
- Packaging materials and office supplies are reused whenever possible. Employees are encouraged to re-use packaging materials for personal use.
- Surplus equipment is offered as a donation to local charities.
- Surplus equipment that cannot be donated is disposed of through authorized recycle centres.
- Blue and black box recycling is practiced in the office (for cans, bottles, plastic and paper).
- We use rechargeable batteries.
- Toner cartridges are donated to the Ottawa Food Bank Recycle Program.
- Photocopier and printer paper is composed of 100% recycled material.
Minimize Use of Paper
- Microworks has an electronic document management system that significantly reduces the number of paper documents created.
- All printers and desktops are configured for two-sided greyscale printing as default.
- Meetings are conducted with electronic documents rather than distributed handouts.
- Employees are encouraged to 'think twice' before printing.
- Marketing campaigns are designed for electronic information distribution.
Energy Efficient Infrastructure
- All equipment purchased for the office is Energy Star compliant.
- Microworks partners with manufacturers of Energy Star compliant products, whose corporate policies conform to our environmental policy.
- An energy audit service is offered to clients requiring infrastructure assessments.
- Low-energy lights are used throughout the office.
Reduce Travel Emissions
- Many clients are located in the downtown core, where Microworks' head office is located. Walking to client sites is encouraged and preferred by employees.
- Virtual meetings are used to minimize travel to clients who are more distantly located.
- Microworks' business systems are accessible remotely, to allow employees to telecommute.
- Employees are encouraged to suggest better ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle.